Car accidents can happen at any time and can result in tragedy, including death to those involved. One of the deadliest types of car accidents that occur involve rollover crashes. In fact, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), more than one-third of car accidents result in deaths from rollover accidents.
Here are some ways drivers can avoid being in a rollover accident.
- Regular vehicle inspection: It is of extreme importance that the driver keeps his or her car up-to-date with technology and software updates that are issued annually to ensure that the vehicle is safe. It is important that the owner of the vehicle regularly take the car in to ensure that all safety features are current and that all parts of the vehicle are working properly. Safety standards change frequently and staying current is extremely important.
- Tire maintenance: The vehicle owner will need to ensure that the tires are safe and road-ready. If the car’s tires are worn down or are improper, this can result in the driver not being able to control the car during an accident.
- Drive at a safe speed: Many rollover accidents occur because the driver is traveling at an excessive rate of speed. If the car is going too fast, it will be harder for the driver to not only maintain control of the car but will also make it more likely the car will topple over in the event the driver is driving recklessly.
- Follow traffic laws: Not only is it important that the driver be operating the vehicle safely, it is also important that he or she follows the rules of the road. If the driver is behaving erratically or recklessly, the odds of him or her losing control of the vehicle increase dramatically.
- Be careful to not overload the vehicle: As the car’s size and weight increases, the stability of the vehicle decreases. It is why rollover accidents tend to involve SUVs and pickup trucks. The added weight and off-set for size can make them a higher risk of rolling over. If a driver owns one of these vehicles, it is even more important that he or she be cautious and safe when behind the wheel.
- React appropriately: No one knows how he or she will react during an imminent crash. All it takes is one moment of panic for a driver to overreact and cause a fatal rollover accident. If someone has a close call with another vehicle, an overreaction or overcompensation in steering can cause the car to flip.
- Avoiding distractions: It goes without saying in any situation; a driver should always keep 100% of their focus on the road at all times. However, if the driver allows himself or herself to be distracted, that can lead to losing complete control of the vehicle and result in a rollover accident. Stop texting and driving! We all do it and we all know we shouldn’t. DO not lose your life over a text message.
The Benenati Law Firm has recovered millions of dollars for its injury clients and accident victims. In Orlando and throughout Central Florida victims injured in accidents or through negligence need only hit the 7s to reach the personal injury offices of the Benenati Law Firm. Our oath to you is handling your case from start to finish effectively, competently, and aggressively. Allow us the opportunity to give you the personal attention you deserve in your case. You pay us nothing unless we win your case. Please do not hesitate to call our office today at 407-777-7777 for a free legal consultation. Abogado Hispano con experiencia en juicios sirviendo las necesidades legales de la comunidad de la Florida.